[CoovaChilli] Documentation about xt_coova/ipt-coova/nfcoova

Brian Andrews brian at andrews.org.nz
Mon Jun 13 22:43:00 BST 2016

Hi Pierre

Those filter rules shouldn’t seem useless - things should only work properly when the rules are correct.
The reasons why I would look at rules is that our installs work fine and we had similar issues until our rules were sorted out.
I suspect your rules are too open and traffic is exiting the WAN directly when users are unauthenticated.
Like the rule you have "iptables -I FORWARD -o eth0.1  -j ACCEPT”  that shouldn’t really be there - you only want to accept the unauthenticated ip range in FORWARD - xt_coova will handle the authenticated traffic.
So apart from a few extra rules in INPUT to allow for DHCP, UAM etc your FORWARD rules should be based around:

iptables -A FORWARD_eth0.1 -d 11.1.0.1/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD_eth0.1 -s 11.1.0.1/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -d 10.1.0.0/24 -i eth0.2 -m coova--name chilli --dest  -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -s 10.1.0.0/24 -o eth0.2 -m coova--name chilli --source  -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0.1 -j DROP
iptables -A FORWARD -o eth0.1 -j DROP

-
Brian