[CoovaChilli] Apple Devices issue

sebastian villalba villalba.sebastian at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 17:31:32 GMT 2016

this is what i understand:
with non-apple devices:

   1. u join the wifi network
   2. u open ur browser
   3. u go to any given website
   4. u get redirected to captive portal
   5. u auth
   6. u get redirected to original website (step 3)

whit apple devices:

   1. u join the wifi network
   2. a browser window pops up with the captive portal
   3. u auth
   4. u get 'success' screen

it this is whats happening then there is no problem at all because that is
how apple devices work.

when the join a wifi network they try to reach for
http://captive.apple.com/hotspot-detect.html

the fact that u are behind a coova chilli makes this request get
redirectred to something like [whateverIPaddress]/something.php?p1=1, ... ,
user_url=http://captive.apple.com/hotspot-detect.html so when the parameter
*res* equals *success*, the parameter *user_url* equals
http://captive.apple.com/hotspot-detect.html for apple devices

if you go ahead and paste this http://captive.apple.com/hotspot-detect.html
in your browser, you'll see the 'success' screen

so u may wanna try to handle this specific url in the success condition of
your captive portal

the other way around would be to make the users hit the cancel button of
the pop-up browser and then try to visit a website through the other
browser and go through the process mentioned above, but i think this is a
poor solution unless you find a way to avoid the default browser to pop-up
(let me know if u do)

on the other hand if you want to redirect any user to the same website
everytime they auth u can do that too in the success condition of the
captive portal.

i hope this helps

svf