[CoovaChilli] Wrong Timestamp on Radius Accounting messages

Cristiano Rodrigues cristiano.rodrigues at xtreme.com.au
Wed Apr 10 03:57:46 BST 2019

Greetings!

We've been using CoovaChilli for a while now and bumped into a weird
issue where users get disconnected shortly after being successfully
logged on. They browse the internet and then simply get logged out.

( The current setup was done by three people that no longer work here
and I've been learning about Chilli as quickly as possible, but I'm
still in the dark regarding a lot of details. )

The hotspot controller runs on an embedded linux device on each site,
which comunicates to a freeradius authorization+accounting server which
then feeds off our databases, captive and management portals.

I'm trying to trace why users get disconnected shortly after logging in
and was unable to find a reason. Looking directly at radius accounting
logs I found some suspicious details:

Mon Apr  8 20:37:13 2019
        ChilliSpot-Version = "1.3.0"
        Attr-26.14559.10 = 0x00000001
        Event-Timestamp = "Jan 22 2015 11:23:15 AEST"
        User-Name = "141_125758"
        Acct-Status-Type = Start
        Acct-Session-Id = "5cab22ef0000004e"
        Framed-IP-Address = 10.1.0.13
        NAS-Port-Type = Wireless-802.11
        NAS-Port = 78
        NAS-Port-Id = "00000078"
        Calling-Station-Id = "38-53-9C-D2-A5-1A"
        Called-Station-Id = "78-8A-20-7D-EA-3C"
        NAS-IP-Address = 10.1.0.1
        NAS-Identifier = "170_1_waves12221_4"
        WISPr-Location-ID = "isocc=,cc=,ac=,network=Waves,"
        WISPr-Location-Name = "xxxxxx"
        FreeRADIUS-Acct-Session-Start-Time = "Apr  8 2019 20:37:13
AEST"
        Tmp-String-9 = "ai:"
        Acct-Unique-Session-Id = "ddd0d4ae7a43b176b46ab68a10c0f37d"
        Timestamp = 1554719833

Now... I'm not sure that this is wrong 2015 Timestamp is what's causing
users to get logged off but it doesn't seem right.

Can anyone tell me how to trace back where this wrong timestamp is
being generated? Would it be the Controller where Chilli runs, some
internal Chilli clock or even the end user device?

All ideas will be most appreciated.

--
Kind regards,

Chris

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.